Janeen L. Massaros
Janeen L. Massaros J.D. brings her experience and insights to her work in the field of alternative dispute resolution. Ms. Massaros believes in the ability of individuals to reach their own satisfactory solutions with the assistance of a mediator who is skilled in both facilitative and evaluative approaches to the issues presented. Ms. Massaros serves as a mediator, early neutral evaluator, parenting time expeditor, parenting consultant, and parenting and custody evaluator through direct client requests and appointments from family courts in the seven-county metro area and in greater Minnesota.
Ms. Massaros is a graduate of William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, MN and holds an undergraduate degree in social work with an emphasis in communications, family relationship dynamics, and community education. Ms. Massaros is a qualified neutral on both the civil and family rosters under Rule 114 of the Minnesota General Rules of Practice.
Since 1996, Ms. Massaros has assisted individuals to resolve issues related to dissolution, co-parenting, post-divorce shared parenting concerns and property distribution. As sole proprietor of Southern Metropolitan Mediation Services since 2000, Ms. Massaros provides high quality alternative dispute resolution services to parents, communities, and individuals in a respectful and collaborative process designed to encourage a satisfactory final resolution of the issues.
In 2008, Ms. Massaros expanded her mediation practice with the addition of Midwest Senior Solutions providing mediation services related to elder law and care of aging parents. Ms. Massaros is co-founder of A Team Approach, gender-balanced custody evaluation, and collaborates with her male colleagues to provide male-female evaluations and mediations upon request.
Ms. Massaros conducts the certified training required by the Minnesota Supreme Court to qualify mediators for both the civil and family rosters and advanced training seminars for practitioners to enhance their skills in the mediation process. She is asked to present to a number of community groups, workplaces and schools on the topics of mediation, communication and conflict resolution skills, both locally and nationally, and is a frequent presenter at the MNCLE ADR and Family Law Institutes each year.
Ms. Massaros served as a State of Minnesota employed Guardian Ad Litem, primarily for family court matters, from 2000 to 2008 in the Tenth Judicial District. She has been employed as a parent educator for the University of Minnesota Extension Service “Parents Forever” program providing co-parent education to divorcing parents. Ms. Massaros utilizes “WE AGREE: Creating a Parenting Plan” for couples interested in a cooperative approach to custody and parenting time issues.
From 1998 to 2000, she held the position of Executive Director for the Dispute Resolution Center, a private nonprofit community mediation program located in St. Paul, MN. Prior to this position, she was employed for three years as the Director of Mediation Services for the Center where she coordinated volunteer mediators in conciliation, housing court and neighborhood disputes.
- Lead faculty, Minnesota CLE, 40-hour Family Mediation Skills and 6-hour Domestic Violence Issues, 2010 to present
- Lead faculty, 40-hour Family Mediation Skills, Minnesota State University- Mankato, Extended Learning Program, 2010 to present
- Co-founder, A Team Approach, gender-balanced custody evaluations
- Member, MN Cooperative Practice Network, 2011 to present
- Early Neutral Evaluation Panels, Anoka, Wright and Ramsey Counties, 2009 to present
- Minnesota CLE, 30-Hour Civil Mediation Training, faculty member, 2000 to present
- Metropolitan State University, 2000 to present, community faculty, negotiation, mediation and communication; 30-hour civil mediation training under Rule 114
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts – MN Chapter, Vice President, 2010 to 2012, Board of Directors, 2009-10
- Walling, Berg & Debele, High Conflict Family Resources
- Wisconsin Association of Mediators (WAM)
- Minnesota State Bar Association, ADR Section
- Minnesota Supreme Court ADR Review Board, board member 1998 to 2001
- National Care Planning Council for Elder Care and Elder Law, Family Conflict Resolution Services – Midwest Senior Solutions